Information for the 2020 Opera America Opera Grants for Female Composers
Everything for Dawn is a collaboratively-created opera, with 10 different composers and 6 librettists, all writing for a cast of 8 singers and a 5-piece chamber ensemble. This work emerges from our Innovation Grant-funded Writers Room project, which has successfully engaged composers and librettists relatively new to opera and from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds. Our proposal to Opera America is to support the commission of the five female-identifying composers who are part of this project, each of whom is contributing 20 minutes of music. Taken together, the female-identifying composers’ work will constitute half of the complete opera, and a total of 100 minutes of music. Below are the episode assignments for the five female-identifying composers who are part of this project.
- Episode 2 – Pauline Kim Harris – www.paulinekimharris.com
- Episode 6 – Melissa Dunphy – www.melissadunphy.com
- Episode 8 – Clarice Assad – clariceassad.com
- Episode 9 – Alex Temple – www.alextemplemusic.com
- Episode 10 – Kamala Sankaram – www.kamalasankaram.com
The five episodes from Everything for Dawn that are part of this proposal were written by a combination of librettists from the Experiments in Opera Writers’ Room project.